On Thursday, October 15, BISD Superintendent Dr. Darrell Brown announced changes to the 2020–21 school calendar. The District is adjusting the calendar to add five half days so teachers can effectively plan lessons for face-to-face and online students.
The revised calendar provides early release days in order for teachers to accomplish some of the following duties:
- Plan lessons for dual platforms
- Create student assignments
- Grade student assignments
- Conduct student conferences through Zoom
- Answer questions that have been posted in Chat and/or emails
- Provide tutorials through Zoom
The following days are now early release (half) days:
- Friday, October 30, 2020
- Friday, November 20, 2020
- Friday, December 18, 2020
- Friday, February 12, 2021
- Thursday, April 1, 2021
- Wednesday, May 26, 2021*
*It will be determined in April 2021 whether this is an early release day.
Early Release Schedules
(AM) 8:10–10:30 a.m.
(PM) 10:40 a.m. – 12:40 p.m.
8:10 a.m. – 12:40 p.m.
Middle School (6–8)
8:40 a.m. – 1:10 p.m.
High School (9–12)
Shannon High School
“The change to the calendar is needed to help our teachers ensure they are prepared to be effective with our students,” Dr. Brown said. “I appreciate how they are going above and beyond to plan and teach in two platforms (face-to-face and online), which has greatly increased the complexity of their work.”
Visit https://www.birdvilleschools.net/cms/lib/TX01000797/Centricity/Domain/1/2021Calendar.pdf to view the revised calendar.