During the 2016–17 school year, the Birdville Council of PTAs Clothes Connection served more than 1,500 BISD students.
Clothes Connection distributed:
- 872 Shoe Vouchers
- 602 Pairs of Shoes
- 7,442 Pairs of New Underwear
- 7,545 Pairs of Socks
- 5,548 Shirts
- 3,225 Pants
- 1,628 Jackets and Coats
This was made possible through the generous donations of BISD employees and community members, fantastic volunteers, and supportive campus PTAs and principals.
On Monday, June 12, the Board unanimously voted to award a pay raise that averages 2.5 percent at the midpoint of each pay group for all District employees. For full-time teachers, that translates to a minimum of $1,406 per year.
Save the Date | Convocation 2017
- Tuesday, August 15
“I love your enthusiasm and willingness to help!”
Congratulations, Susan Gorman, Touch of Class Honoree for January 2017. #BISDShines#WeAreBirdvilleISD #TxEdTuesday
Share your Birdville story today, visit: http://www.birdvilleschools.net/ShareYourStory
BISD is accepting Open Enrollment applications for the 2017–18 school year March 8 at 8 a.m. through April 4 at 4 p.m.
This is the only opportunity to apply for Open Enrollment for the 2017–18 school year.
Visit: birdvilleschools.net/ChooseBirdville for more information.
AUSTIN – The Texas Education Agency today announced the nomination of 26 Texas public schools for national 2017 Blue Ribbon Schools recognition.
Founded in 1982, Blue Ribbon Schools is a U.S. Department of Education program that recognizes public and private elementary, middle and high schools where students perform at very high levels. The nominated schools in Texas include the following:
- Amarillo ISD – Whittier Elementary School
- Banquete ISD – Banquete Elementary School
Birdville ISD – Smithfield Elementary School
- Dallas ISD – Barack Obama Male Leadership Academy
- Dallas ISD – Dallas Environmental Science Academy
- Dallas ISD – Irma Lerma Rangel Women’s Leadership School
- Edinburg CISD – Austin Elementary School
- Edinburg CISD – Jefferson Elementary School
- El Paso ISD – Green Elementary School
- El Paso ISD – Silva Health Magnet
- Galveston ISD – Austin Middle School
- Gunter ISD – Gunter Elementary School
- Houston ISD – Eastwood Academy
- Houston ISD – Lyons Elementary School
- Jim Ned CISD – Lawn Elementary School
- Judson ISD – Crestview Elementary School
- KIPP Houston – KIPP Shine Prep
- La Porte ISD – Jennie Reid Elementary School
- Laredo ISD – Hector J. Garcia Early College High School
- Los Fresnos ISD – Rancho Verde Elementary School
- Montgomery ISD – Montgomery Intermediate School
- Oakwood ISD – Oakwood Elementary School
- San Antonio ISD – Travis Early College High School
- Whitehouse ISD – Stanton-Smith Elementary School
- Wylie ISD – RF Hartman Elementary School
- Ysleta ISD – Valle Verde Early College High School
All schools that have been nominated for the 2017 honor were selected as exemplary high performing schools as measured by state assessments. Each school has an economically disadvantaged population of 22 percent or greater.
The nominated schools must now complete a rigorous application process through the U.S. Department of Education. Announcements of the national award winners will be made in September 2017. Schools that receive the award are recognized at the Blue Ribbon Schools awards ceremony in Washington, D.C.
Congratulations to Alyssa Andrews, Richland High School Dixie Belle captain, for being selected to perform with a group at the Black Tie and Boots Inaugural Ball in Washington D.C. This event is sponsored by the Texas State Society of Washington D.C. Alyssa is one of only 25 Texas Dance Educators Association (TDEA) All-State dancers invited to perform at this prestigious event.
> Invitation Letter
Sabrina Dowell, fifth-grade teacher at Mullendore Elementary, was recently published in the National Science Teachers Association’s Science and Children publication. She contributed to the article “Claims and Evidence: Creating opportunities for students to practice speaking and writing about science.” (Used by Permission)
> Read Article
Former Watauga Middle School and Birdville ISD graduate (Haltom High School) Halapoulivaati Vaitai is a starting offensive tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles. (He also played college football at TCU.) Vaitai recently sent a message of encouragement to the Watauga Middle School football team. #BISDShines #WeAreBirdvilleISD
> View Video
> View Bio
Many BISD campuses have a specific hashtag for teachers and families to follow on social media. Different departments and groups within BISD do the same. See below for some of the hashtags to follow this year.
BISD Professional Learning
BISD Selfies (Students/Staff)
BISD Spotlights and Celebrations
Birdville Blended Learning grant
Hashtags help a large professional learning community stay connected. Use the hashtags when you post and also search them for great ideas around the district.